The magical gift of Ayurveda was cherished and nurtured by the ancient Indians for a long time. Even today, Indian kitchens abound with Ayurvedic knowledge. One such pearl from the sea of Ayurveda is Swarna bhasma.
An Overview of Swarna Bhasma
In Ayurveda when we talk about Bhasmas, we generally refer to finely powdered form taken out of precious metals. To obtain the powdered form, we take the purest form of any metal or minerals. Using the healing power of any metal is an ancient therapy used worldwide. In ancient times these metal powders were used to induce natural purgation. Ayurveda was the first to tap into this hidden potential. In Ayurveda Gold and silver are generally used to make bhasmas. These powdered preparations are actually the residues of the calcination or incineration of the source metal. One of the commons among them is Swarna bhasma. It is an ancient powdered preparation made from pure gold. Swarna bhasma has the power to heal as well as combat various health problems like heart problems, respiratory problems and infertility etc. Swarna bhasma, otherwise known as Svarnabhasmam, balances the tridosha- vata, pitta and kapha.
What are benefits & uses of Swarna Bhasma?
Swarna bhasma is a composition that works magically on almost every organ of the human body. It helps us get relief from some of the chronic diseases medical science fails to combat easily. Below are the benefits and uses of this magical powder.
- Mental Disorders: This medicine helps to cure various types of mental disorders such as depression. It helps to enhance the memory of the mental patients. Both partial, as well as complete mental disorders, are said to have Benn treated effectively by Swarna bhasma.
- Cardiac ailments: This preparation improves the circulation of blood and thereby curing a variety of heart ailments like angina pectoris and myocardial infarction etc. It provides power and strength to the heart and its vessels. Apart from these, Swarna bhasma acts as the cleanser and detoxifier of the heart.
- Blood Purifier: Nowadays our bodies freely accumulate toxins in various forms, all the time. These may cause a variety of diseases like indigestion or infections. This ayurvedic preparation removes those toxins and makes the body pure as gold. It helps to cure us of the diseases caused by these toxins.
- Skin Problems: Swarna bhasma rejuvenates the skin. This medicine cures a great number of chronic skin diseases like psoriasis, atopic dermatitis etc.
- Improves Eye: Conjunctivitis follows itchiness in the eyes with redness. Swarna Bhasma protects your eyes from conjunctivitis. It is very beneficial for your eyes.
- Brain inflammation: Brain inflammation that shows its symptoms through numbness, intolerance to sound, burning sensation, aggressiveness, is said to be cured by Swarna bhasma.
- Stress buster: Swarna bhasma is used to provide relief in patients suffering from stress and depression. It is also used in case of panic attacks.
- Immunity: Swarna bhasma enhances immunity and prepares the body to combat viral and microbial infections.
- Tuberculosis: Swarna bhasma can be very destructive for the tuberculosis bacteria in the initial stage of the disease. It provides the patient relief from loss of muscle mass, fatigue, weakness, and low immunity
- Cancer treatment: Swarna bhasma is anti-carcinogenic. It prevents the development and growth of cancer and tumor cells.
- Sexual vigor: Swarna bhasma can improve your sexual vigor and stamina. It is an aphrodisiac. It treats premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction very effectively. It also helps in low sperm count. Swarna bhasma acts effectively in syphilis and infertility.
- Dry cough and Typhoid fever: Swarna bhasma when used in combination with Giloy Sat, ShringaBhasma and PravalPishti can treat dry cough. Swarna bhasma is combined with other medicines to cure typhoid fever.
What is Compositions & ingredients of Swarna Bhasma?
To prepare Swarna bhasma, purified 24-carat gold is needed. It is the main ingredient. But there might be the need for other metals like Sulphur, Calcium, Sodium, potassium, sulphate, copper, Silica etc. There are various techniques to prepare Swarna bhasma. They include calcination of gold with other metals. A simple preparation procedure is as follows.
At first, grinding a pure gold leaf is done along with lime juice. Then it is mixed with Rasasindhura, a mercurial compound. Then it is kept in absence of air for 4 to 5 hours. In the process, the temperature should maintained be at 400-500℃.
What are Side Effects of Swarna Bhasma?
You may experience its side effects if you have mistakenly consumed an overdose of Swarna bhasma. Symptoms in that case include
- Poisoning of the GI tract
- Convulsions and cramps in the intestine
As an antidote to the overdose, use flour, milk and egg albumen.
As a precaution to the harmful effects of Swarna bhasma,
- Use the medicine under medical consultation of an expert. No self-medication.
- Do not use it for more than 9 months at a single go.
- Follow the dose as mentioned by your physician strictly.
- Keep it in a cool & dry container out of the reach of children.
How to use Swarna Bhasma?
Depending upon the age group Swarna bhasma has different dosage. An average of 15 mg to 30 mg per day is considered safe. The maximum limit of consumption on a day should not exceed 62.5 mg. Children below 5 years can take up to 5 mg per day. Children more than that can take 10 mg. Children of 10+ years can take 15 mg per day. Whenever Swarna bhasma is prescribed, it is generally for one to two months. Only in case of severe illness, it is allowed to consume Swarna bhasma for more than two months, that too not exceeding nine months at a stretch.
Nutritional Value of Swarna Bhasma
The nutritional values of Swarna bhasma are as follows
- Works as a natural aphrodisiac
- Works as an immunity booster
- Improves intelligence and memory
- Improves speaking capacity
- Brings a glow to the skin
Now you know, Ayurveda had answers to all the chronic diseases as well as not so dangerous ones. These are our common problems today. So, go back to Ayurveda and explore the magical power of Swarna bhasma.