There are almost 100 ghats that are located at the banks of Ganges in Varanasi. The ghats bear an important role for both religious and aesthetic purpose. The Ganges being considered as the holy river, many pilgrims tend to wash off themselves before offering puja to the various temples of Varanasi. The aesthetic beauty and the flair of authentic charm it adds to the beauty of Varanasi is also that will leave you completely awed.
Place To Visit in Varanasi:
For your trip to this great city, make sure you have looked for hotel Varanasi for your stay at this historical city. Also, once you are done with all the temples and street foods of this place, it may sound touristy, but take a boat down the Ganges and start exploring the beautiful ghats of Varanasi. Keep reading.
- Assi Ghat: The Assi Ghat is located at the southernmost part of Varanasi where the Assi River meets Ganges. This ghat is located at the corner and therefore, you will not find the uncontrollable crowd here. This is a famous spot for tourists and pilgrims who would offer puja to the tall Shiva Lingam which is located near the Assi Ghat. Do check out this place.
- Dasashwamedha Ghat: Another famous ghat of Varanasi which is located near the Kashi Vishwanath Temple. The main appeal of this remains in the evening puja offering that takes place every evening at this ghat. People from all around the world come to offer their gratitude to this ghat and the little flower diyas that are being offered to the Ganges is something you must try for yourself!
- Darbhanga Ghat: Darbhanga Ghat is one of the most visually appealing and architecturally soothing ghat of Varanasi. Here at this ghat, you will find the famous palace that was built by the former rulers of Bihar. Adjoining to this ghat is another famous ghat named Munshi Ghat which was built by Shridhar Narayana Munshi in the year 1912. Do check both of these places.
- Manikarnika Ghat: Another most famous destination of Varanasi, the Manikarnika Ghat is a world-famous cremation ground. Do visit this ghat in order to look at the different perspective of life. The unique ambience of this ghat with lots of people coming over, the ashes, the burning grounds, the grimness of this ghat where people leave their dear ones who are not with them anymore- are something which will compel you to start thinking on life from a different perspective.
- Scindhia Ghat: The Scindhia Ghat don’t contain the grimness of the nearby Manikarnika Ghat and has its own peacefulness and the tranquillity that can sooth your mind. Of particular interest is the half-submerged Shiva Lingam which was partially drowned while this ghat was being built.
The ghats tell a different tale in the context of Varanasi. The people of Varanasi depend on the Ganges with all their lives and therefore the importance of the ghats are very high. So, don’t wait up anymore and look for resort Varanasi for your stay in this beautiful city!