Basmati is long grain rice which has its origin from India. Basmati is considered as one of the best species of rice. It is mostly consumed in theNorthern part of India and is used for thepreparation of many cuisines. A unique characteristic of Basmati rice is its slender look. It is thin and long grain rice which makes it stand apart from other species of rice.
- Basmati has an enticing aroma which spreads while cooking.
- The rice has derived its name Basmati because of the aroma. In Hindi Bas means fragrance and hence it is named as Basmati.
You May Love: How to prepare chicken biryani: A Quick Guide
- The billion present in Basmati rice causes the aromatic smell. In comparison to other aromatic rice, Basmati is 12 times more aromatic.
- The basmati rice has a nutty flavour which distinguishes it from other variety of rice.
- The Rice is only cultivated in India and Pakistan across the globe.
- It is exported to Middle Eastern countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, UAE, Iraq and Kuwait from India and Pakistan.
- Basmati rice needs specific climatic conditions to grow, and hence it is cultivated in selected regions of India.
- Basmatiis cultivated in Northern regions of India such as MP, UP, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Delhi, Haryana and J&K.
- Just like other species of rice, Basmati too has two variants of white and brown rice.
- Among the white and brown variant, the brown rice is more nutritious and healthy option.
- Ageing plays a key role in the quality of Basmati rice.
- It is believed that the older the rice, the better it is. The rice which has been aged for 1-3 years is the best for consumption.
Varity of Basmati Rice
Some of the well-known varieties of Basmati are:
Basmati 217, 386, Karnal local basmati, Basmati 370, Ranbir basmati, Dehradooni basmati, Punjab basmati, Pusa basmati 1 & 1121, Mahi sugandha, Haryana basmati and Kasturi basmati.
Health Benefits of Basmati Rice:
- The Basmati is said to prevent the formation of cancer cells.
- It is astorehouse of vitamins and fibres. The outer layer of the rice is most nutritious, and hence it should not be removed to gain maximum benefits.
- The rice is also a good source of carbohydrates and keeps one feeling full for a longer duration.
You May Like : Weight reduction is made easy and quick
- Basmati is agreat option for diabetic people since it has a low sugar release.
- It helps in preventing Haemorrhoids
- Basmati is the best option for people who wish to keep a watch on their weight since it has high fibre content.
- It is considered good for cardiac patients since it is low in cholesterol.
- It is also helpful in fighting against constipation.
- It prevents chances of colon cancer.
With so many benefits in store, one can consume rice without any tension. You just need to pick the right quality and right brand. The best premium basmati rice can be bought from supermarket or online. There are various renowned brands that sell Basmati rice.