In ancient India, Ayurveda was the essence of life. It developed simple rules and medicines that were available around us. In its long history of more than 6000 years, Ayurveda still holds its reign in healing us. One among its gift to mankind is Arjunarishta.
What is Arjunarishta?
Arjunarishta otherwise known as Parthadyarishtam is an ayurvedic concoction liquid. It is made as a mixture of Arjunatvak, Mrudvika (dry grapes), Madhuka, Dhataki, Guda (jaggery) and water. Arjunarishta herbal liquid medicine is commonly used as a heart tonic. The liquid contains alcohol to the point of 6-12%. This alcohol is completely self-generated and makes a media with water to act as the bearer of herbal components that are alcohol and water soluble. Arjunarishta medicine works well for people suffering from heart problems and blood pressure because the main ingredient Arjuna present in this contains a lot of beneficent bioactive elements that strengthen the left ventricular muscles.
What are benefits and uses of Arjunarishta?
Arjunarishta is a beneficent rich Ayurvedic medicine that can cure many major diseases and also acts as a preventive to those diseases. It acts as an anti-ischemic and strong antioxidant. At the same time, it is hypolipidemic and cardioprotective. It can be safely used as an antianginal to combat angina pectoris. Let us talk about the benefits of Arjunarishta.
- Cardiac Arrhythmia: The component Terminalia Arjuna works in improving SR function which in turn helps to minimize irregular heartbeat characteristic of Arrhythmia. Bradycardia and Tachycardia are effectively treated with Arjunarishta.
- High and low blood pressure: Any irregular occurrence related to blood pressure can be normalized and stabilized with this medicine. In hypertension, it can induce lowering effects. In case of low blood pressure Arjunarishta strengthen cardiac action. Stabilizing the blood pressure is the main function of Arjunarishta.
- Myocardial infarction: It is a heart ailment that takes place due to an insufficient supply of blood to the heart. Arjunarishta can increase the cardiac perfusion to ensure blood supply without any interruption.
- Heart attack: Arjunarishta has antioxidant properties. Thus, it can improve and strengthen the left-ventricular heart muscles that pump blood out. Thus, arjunarishta acts as a protection in case of heart attack.
- Stroke: Stroke follows weakness, paralysis and other symptoms. But the regular taking of arjunarishta can increase continuous blood supply to the brain thereby minimizing occurrences of stroke.
- Valvular heart disease: Any damage to the valves of the heart can happen due to overexposure to toxin and back pressure. Arjunarishta prevents this malfunctioning of valves by strengthening the left ventricular valves so that the left ventricle can pump blood efficiently into the aorta.
- Respiratory disease: You can use Arjunarishta to treat chronic respiratory diseases. Arjunarishta can cure diseases like bronchitis, asthma or COPD. By strengthening lung capacity, Arjunarishta acts as anti-allergic. It also increases the stamina of pulmonary muscles.
What are side effects of Arjunarishta?
Generally, Arjunarishta is safe to consume and has no visible side effects. Yet it should be consumed after taking the consent of your ayurvedicvaidya because while prescribing Arjunarishta he might consider the following things
- Overdose of Arjunarishta may create gastric irritation.
- Caution should be taken in case of a diabetic patient because Arjunarishta contains a huge amount of jaggery. Sugar intake should be adjusted in such a case.
- Overuse of the mixture can increase the temperature of the body.
- Few factors should be taken care of while prescribing this to pregnant women.
Thus, it is relatively safer to consume Arjunarishta after consulting the expert in the field.
What are main composition of Arjunarishta?
Two types of solvents constitute the mixture commonly called Arjunarishta. The process includes natural fermentation. The mixture is prepared by boiling Terminalia arjuna of 4.8 Kg, Vitisvinifera of 2.4 Kg, Madhucaindica of 960 gm in water. It is reduced to 1/4th of the whole volume and left for straining. When the decoction cools down, Woodfordiafruticosa of 9.5 Kg and Jaggery of 1.6 Kg are added to the mixture. Then the mixture is left for fermentation inside any closed vessel for the time span of 1 month. Once fermentation is complete, arista is to be filtered and stored in a glass bottle.
How to use Arjunarishta?
You can take Arjunarishta orally but drinking it without consulting an ayurvedic is not recommended. Often the number of dosages vary from person to person. A general idea of doses can be 10ml or two tablespoons for children, 20 ml or four tablespoons for Adults and Geriatrics. Its maximum dosage can be 60 ml, though in divided doses. You can take it twice a day orally with an equal amount of water mixed with it. Drink it after taking food preferably after you take lunch. So, on average 15-20 ml, Arjunarishta can be safely taken by a healthy individual as well as patients suffering from heart-related symptoms.
What is nutritional value of Arjunarishta?
Arjunarishta is mainly prescribed as the common medicine in heart-related ailments. There are many medicinal values of Arjunarishta. It helps to bring down the Pitta. Instead, it increases Kapha the body while balancing vata. There are more to its medicinal values than nutritional values. Every 100 ml of Arjunarishta contains 76 calories of energy. It has less than 0.1 gm of fat in it. The amount of saturated fat also is the same. In 100ml of Arjunarishta there might 18.4 gm of carbohydrates. The quantity of sugar might be a little higher due to the presence of jaggery. Approximate 0.57 gm of protein is available in 100 gm of Arjunarishta. A minuscule amount of common salt can be found in different products sold outside. Since Arjunarishta is a medicine, we must put our focus on the medicinal properties of it. Its healing properties are more than nutritional values.
Finally, it can be said, Arjunarishta holds a tremendous wealth of beneficent in it. Heart ailments or not, it can be helpful for everyone of any age. Every individual should take Arjunarishta twice a day. It will not only cure you of heart problems but also prevent it. So keep taking Arjunarishta for a healthy and happy heart.